According to the U.S. Dept. of Transportation, 91% of holiday travel between Thanksgiving and New Years is by car. And the busiest days of all? The Wednesday before Thanksgiving through that Sunday.
So if you are among one of the many who will be traveling this holiday, follow some of our tips to make your trip one full of blessings.
- Plan ahead. If possible, plan on leaving Tuesday night or even first thing Thursday morning to avoid the crazy Wednesday rush.
- Do a home check. Before leaving, make sure everything is turned off or unplugged in your home, and you have locked everything up. Keep curtains closed so people can’t look in, and consider asking a trusted neighbor to keep an eye out for you.
- Don’t Spread the Word. With the popularity of social media, people freely put information on the web. Making posts about being out of town for a couple days is asking for trouble. So as excited as you are and as much as you want to brag, keep it on the down low.
- Tip off the police. You can, however, inform your local police department that you’ll be leaving the area and ask them to do drive-bys if they are in your area.
- Hide the Spare Key. Your hiding place under the doormat is not that great. Remove your outdoor spare keys or leave them with a relative or trusted friend.
Happy Thanksgiving from Bob Lancaster Insurance!