Keep everyone safe this Halloween, by following these simple tips for your family and pets.
- People (and pet) costumes should be non-flammable.
- Err on the side of caution - not fashion - when selecting costumes for your two- and four-legged family members. To be safe, masks and costumes should not interfere with either vision or movement.
- To help avoid mishaps, accompany your pet at all times while he or she is wearing a costume.
- If you are new to a neighborhood, consider attending local "Trunk-or-Treat" events hosted by community centers or local churches.
- Parents should inspect candy before it's eaten.
- Remember, pets should not eat any candy. Sugar substitutes such as xylitol are toxic to pets; eating chocolate can be deadly for both dogs and cats.