A recent study conducted over a period of 10 years found during that time more than 2,000 children under the age of five suffered burn injuries related to glass fireplace doors. It takes only seconds to get a serious burn, and third-degree burns require surgery and skin grafts. Be sure to use a sturdy screen in front of the glass door to help prevent anyone, especially children, from accidentally brushing against or leaning against the glass.
Here are some helpful tips. . . .
- Have your chimney inspected by a licensed chimney sweep each year, to be sure it is free of debris and safe to use.
- Add a heat-proof child lock on fireplace doors.
- Be sure to keep toys, dog beds, paper, and all flammable material several feet away from the fire.
- Do not burn paper, gift wrap, cardboard, or treated wood in your fireplace.
- Routinely check to be sure both your carbon-monoxide detector and smoke alarms are working properly, plus have a fire extinguisher nearby.
- Make sure the fire is completely out before going to sleep.
- Dispose of ashes carefully.